Reports to: Software Development Manager
Job Type: Full Time
Based in: Ottawa, Ontario
Nanometrics is looking for a software developer to join our team of smart, creative engineers to help build our next generation of data acquisition software used to collect seismic and state-of-health data from instruments in stand-alone and networked deployments. Help solve challenging problems including how to use wireless technologies to harvest instrument data in dense field deployments and choosing new UI and web application frameworks such as AngularJS and Play to develop state of the art data acquisition analysis capabilities as cloud services or desktop applications.
How we work
We work in an informal, fun, fast-moving, collaborative environment with minimal hierarchy. While we have the freedom to set our own hours and the flexibility to maintain an excellent work/life balance, we work hard to ensure that our products are delivered on time.
We develop a full range of software -- from customized Linux kernels and advanced signal processing applications, to web services and APIs. We believe in using the best development tools and practices, and use an Agile approach.
Who you are
● a software developer with a lifelong interest in all things software
● a creative thinker who enjoys openly sharing and discussing ideas
● passionate about creating elegant architectures and designs
● focussed on understanding users and providing an outstanding user experience
● an enthusiastic team player who enjoys working with and learning from teammates
You need to have
● a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or Engineering with a strong software background)
● 3-5 years of professional experience
● excellent written and verbal communication skills
● a track record of delivering well-designed and tested software
Our favourite technologies include
● Scala, Ruby, Rails, Groovy
● JUnit, Eclipse, Maven, Git
● Cloud service development, deployment, SaaS
● Concurrent programming, actors, Akka
● REST-based APIs, JSON
● Mobile development, iOS, Android
● Relational databases, SQL
● Network programming, sockets, TCP/IP, HTTP, web servers
What we do
Nanometrics creates innovative software and systems for detecting and monitoring seismic activity. Our products make a difference in people’s lives by helping to understand the significant human impact earthquakes have around the world. Our customers are leading researchers and companies who use our products for earthquake scientific research as well as natural disaster warning systems, nuclear non-proliferation monitoring, and induced seismic activity detection. Our systems are deployed on every continent and in some of the most remote and harsh environments on Earth, from deserts and mountains, to the Arctic and the bottom of the ocean.
This position is available in our Ottawa office, located on the edge of the Greenbelt. Close to biking paths and bus routes, and a short commute to many nearby residential areas.
Submit your resume by email to: email@example.com No phone calls please.
Nanometrics is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Nanometrics is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.